Aromatherapy is more commonly known as a process of helping people relax by using scented herbs and essential oils that leave calming effect and soothe the body and mind. The functions and benefits of aromatic plants and oils, however, are not just limited to reducing mental and emotional stress and fatigue. Natural aromatic oils can also cure physical pains and other minor conditions parts of our body suffer from.
The following are just some of the common conditions aromatic plants and oils can relieve:
- Sore throat – Marjoram is widely used in Europe as cure to throat problems. Even European singers rely on herbal remedies such as marjoram tea and oil, not only to treat laryngitis and common sore throat but also to help preserve their voice. As a cure, marjoram herb tea or essential is mixed with honey and used as a gargle to soothe the inflammation.
- Toothache – Chamomile and clove bud oil are effective tooth pain relievers and have been used for over a century. Even to this day, there are dentists who recommend clove bud oil and use it dental treatments. In treating toothache, just make sure that you are using the oil from the bud since clove leaves have a component that can be considered toxic.
- Pimples – Acne is a far from being a serious threat to your physical health, but it does cause mental and emotional strain, especially to people who are vain when it comes to their appearance.
Oily skin is one of the main culprits for unwanted and undesirable skin eruptions. This skin condition, however, can be treated with aromatic natural products that not only controls excessive production of the skin’s natural oil, but also balances hormones and reduces stress that also contribute to the development of pimples.
Best aromatic products for acne treatment include eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, cedarwood, tea tree, sandalwood, lemongrass, and juniper berry. Any of these essential oils can be used along with aloe vera, which is also an effective cure to skin troubles.
- Cuts and Burns – There are essential oils are effective in treating cuts and burns. Frankincense, lavender, lemon, myrrh, rose, tea tree, eucalyptus, and benzoin are antiseptic essential oils that can be applied to scrapes and minor wounds. Lavender and aloe vera, on the other hand, are used in treating minor burns since these two have components that soothe the burnt area and help skin regenerate and heal faster.
- Insect bites – Mosquito and other insect bites cause skin irritation that can lead to swelling and inflammation. Essential oils—lavender, tea tree, chamomile, and peppermint—can relieve itchiness as well as reduce swelling, inflammation, and allergic response (if any).
These home cure suggestions might come in handy since we encounter incidents that can cause us to suffer from minor injuries or pain even in our own household. Fortunately, there is no need for us to go out and spend more money on medicines that can be replaced by what we might already have in our home, such as herbs and essential oils.